We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions regarding the Passive Acoustic Monitoring Operator training course. If you are unable to find the answer to your question below or on any of the other pages within this site then please contact us.
How much does the course cost?
The price of attending the Passive Acoustic Monitoring Operator training course depends on when you register and pay as well as which country you wish to complete the training in.
For full details on course prices please click on the prices menu at the top of the page.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Currently we only except Bank Transfer and PayPal. We will be introducing more payment options in the near future.
Which is the best course to attend?
The best training course to undertake is the one your company or prospective company requires. It’s wise to check first with your company or the associated operator to find out what their requirements are.
What do l need to work as a marine mammal/fauna observer offshore?
To work offshore in any of the industries you will be required to have:
- Offshore medical relivant to the country you are working in to prove your fitness to be at sea
- BOSIET or TBOSIET, STWC 95 or equivalent to your region training (the BOSIET/TBOSIET includes the helicopter underwater escape training)
- HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training) to enable transfers to and from ship
Do you offer assistance after completing the course?
Yes, all students receive full support once they have completed the course via email.
Do we have to re-train after a certain amount of time?
At present there is no regulation stating that you have to attend a training course to update your certification. We do however offer a refresher course to all our existing students at a heavily discounted price. This is beneficial as the industry guidelines are constantly changing.
Where can l get the latest guidelines?
You can download the latest guidelines directly from the local governing body such as JNCC, alternatively we have them available on our downloads page which is under the “Need Help?” menu at the top of the page.
Can l bring my laptop?
Yes, we welcome all students to bring their laptops. We do not prevent you from using computers during the training session to take notes or find references, however, anyone found to be “surfing” the internet or answering emails which is not relevant to the training course will be asked to leave.
Do you offer private courses?
Yes, we offer private courses. We can either run the course at one of our training locations or travel to your location. The big benefit of private training courses is that it allows us to cater the content of the course specifically to the groups needs.
Please contact us for further details.
What is the difference between the safety at sea courses?
- PMA08 – The following Units of Competency under the Process Manufacturing Australia Training Package (PMA08) are offered:
- PMAOSH214B Undertake helicopter safety and escape
- PMAOHS215B Apply offshore facility abandonment and sea survival procedures and practices
These Units are Nationally Recognised Training under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) and can contribute towards a Qualification. There is no validity period but Operators may require refresher training at their discretion. This qualification may or may not be recognised outside Australia, again dependent on the Operator.
- HUET – This course aims to provide participants with a thorough understanding of the events and dangers surrounding a water ditching, and the skills necessary to survive an emergency ditching situation. These skills are taught by training in the use of the correct emergency and exit procedures, sea survivals skills, sea safety skills and knowledge of common medical situations.
- Tropical Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training TBOSIET) –This accreditation is the OPITO Recognised Training for Australian and International Tropical Waters. Validity – 4 years
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) –This accreditation is the OPITO Recognised Training for Australian and International Cold and Tropical Waters. Mandatory for the North Sea. BOSIET encompasses all training for the TBOSIET as well as Emergency Breathing Systems (EBS) and Cold Water Immersion Suits and will enable you to work in both tropical and cold water climates. Validity – 4 years.
What happens after the 4 year validity period?
Refresher training is required, dependent on what was initially undertaken.
- Tropical Further Offshore Emergency Training (TFOET) – This accreditation is a refresher for TBOSIET. Validity – 4 years
- Further Offshore Emergency Training (FOET) – This accreditation is a refresher for BOSIET. Validity – 4 years